Thursday, September 10, 2009

Gabe's first week of home-preschool!

Gabe stands beside our Farm Mural, the latest work of art in the Mueller home. For the next 9 weeks we will be adding a farm feature to our mural on a weekly basis. Check back--I will try to update our blog as we go along!
PRESCHOOL: WEEK ONE
Our first unit of study is: The Farm.
This week was an introduction to farm life, including a historical view of farms in America.
We played animal charades, sang songs about God's wonderous creation, and did a collage of items found on a farm (my favorite was the woman Gabe cut out of my Real Simple magazine and pasted on the collage--he had me lable her "Erica." ??? That was right next to the cut and pasted picture of a glue bottle and a scissors, and a large Hummer. Ummmm...I need to plan a field trip to a farm!)
One of our favorite moments is lunch time, when I read aloud to Gabe and Quinn from our chapter book titled Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Gabe LOVES this book! It chronicles the life of a young boy on a farm long before electricity or running water, when school teachers stayed with local families and children of all ages did school together in one-room.
We are using an excellent curriculum this year, by Winter Promise. Yay--I no longer have to spend hours each month preparing my own ideas! This curriculum has been a true blessing, as now I can concentrate on just having fun with Gabe and fostering in him a love for learning:) Today he said to me, "Mom, preschool was SHORT today! That's not fair! Why can't it be longer?" I felt the same way! Tomorrow we will be making a barn for our farm mural (above) and learning more about how we read from left to right and top to bottom.



No comments: